Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th!

Today is a good time to reflect on our freedoms; to remember & give thanks for those who have fought & died for our country.

I'm not a very political person, but I do wonder what the men who risked everything to start the United States would think about our nation today.  Some of the most powerful words we have as a country are in the Preamble of the Constitution:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessing of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

These are the fundamentals they used to create a government like no other in the world.  I pray that WE THE PEOPLE will move our country back to this foundation.

On a personal note, my favorite 4th of July memory:  The four of us went to the Fort Worth Cats game (minor league baseball), & they always have an awesome fireworks show afterwards.  Sam & Andy were sitting on either side of me, & as the show started, they each leaned their heads on my shoulders.

The first fireworks were set to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World".  I remember getting a huge lump in my throat & tears in my eyes.  My thoughts were:  Yes, it's a wonderful world!  It's a wonderful country where I can sit with my family & enjoy baseball, hot dogs, & fireworks without fear!  It's a wonderful life that I am so incredibly blessed with a loving husband, & the two best sons ever created!

Enjoy fun, fireworks, friends, & family this 4th; but also remember to be thankful for our freedom!




1 comment:

  1. very good - so proud of you! You remind me so much of your Aunt Susan in your writing abilities, etc!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with me!