Friday, June 28, 2013

...And They're Gone Again!

My two sons have been very busy this summer...and they're gone again!

They went with a group of 40 from our congregation to Moore, OK, June 10 - 12th.  This group worked with the Churches of Christ Disaster Relief.  The three days were spent cleaning up debris, removing tree stumps, handing out meals & supplies.  The church our group stayed at was across the street from the hospital that was destroyed.  Our volunteers left a signed shirt on the memorial fence at the elementary school, where seven children were killed.

I know this trip was very fulfilling, humbling, & sobering for my sons & others who went.  They worked many hours in the Oklahoma sun, with no complaints, & returned changed by the experience.

Our minister posted about the trip & how it brought new clarity to the Truth.  You may read it here - http://coryhcollins.blogspot.com/2013/06/moore-focused-moore-thankful-and-moore.html

One of our young ladies posted a poem about Moore - http://charissaexplainsit.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-meaning-of-moore.html 

One our young men, Joshua Gibbs, is a professional photographer (http://photographybyjoshua.zenfolio.com/ ).  Joshua was able to get time for pictures during all the work.  I am honored to be able to share just a few of his powerful photos!
This was the most touching to me; some little girl has lost everything! Including her Raggedy Ann.
The guys spent all day digging & chopping tree stumps in a woman's yard.  Andy is in the black cap with the white towel.  Sam is in the black cap with the red towel.
The boys were home 3 1/2 days, then left with a total of 50 7th -12th graders on  June 16th.  This large group made their annual summer trip to Pettyjohn Springs Christian Camp in Madill, OK.  They had a full week of Bible classes, 'Heart to Heart' talks, sports, rope course, swimming, eating, talking, & hanging out with 200 other campers!

This is one of the best camps I know of, with wonderful, caring counselors.  There are friendships formed here that last!  I was privileged to attend this camp myself decades ago...yes, it's that old!

Kent & I drove up early Saturday morning to go pick up campers in the church vans.  It's so heartwarming to see everyone hugging & saying good-bye.  The fun really starts when we work at verifying that ALL THEIR STUFF is actually loaded & not left behind.  Then I have the 30 who are riding in vans, check in with me to say which van they are getting into.  Finally, I get on each van for 'roll call' to verify that ALL OF THEM are actually loaded & not left behind.

So, my sons came home last Saturday afternoon, & as of 6:30 this morning...they are gone again!  This time, there are 18, age 15 - adult, taking the vans to Colorado for Wilderness Trek.  They are scheduled to return LATE next Friday night.

Andy & Sam have been training for over a year to participate.  They will be doing a summit attempt at 14,000 feet!  Plus, rapelling, hiking for over 10 miles a day, having worship, fellowshipping, & using solo time to draw closer to God.  It is as much a spiritual journey, as a physical one.

I am thrilled that they have so many opportunities to go, serve, learn, deepen their spiritual life, & develop & deepen friendships.  BUT, I'm not a Mom who says, "Yea, the kids are gone, time for fun!"  I miss my sons, who are also my friends!  I know part of this comes from homeschooling, 'cause I'm used to having them around; but, it's also 'cause they are such fun guys!  Oh, and I have more 'chores' when they aren't here...

Now, don't think I'm going to spend all this time just moping & missing them!  I do have some work around the house planned, time with Kent, & time with friends.  However, as much fun as I know they will have, I will be SO READY for them to come HOME.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading about your boys. They have some great opportunities during their busy summer.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with me!